Saturday, August 31, 2013

Make a treasure out of someone else's junk!

One of my favorite projects is to find old chair someone has dumped because the seat is broken or a leg needs glue. I have found three different old rush and caned chairs left for trash. First I sanded the chair, glued loose joints and put a new finishing stain and varnish on it. Replacing rush seats is fairly easy but most available rush these days is plastic and not so nice to sit on.  Now I have just finished the alternative way to redo seat. I had scraps of quilting cottons that I made 1" wide strips that I stitched together in long pieces. I used to do this to braid rag rugs. I used the rag balls to redo seat. Not only does it look great and colorful but it is more comfortable and stronger.


No comments:

Post a Comment